HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

#14 - Carpe Diem

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Asparagus32

PostSubject: Re: #14 - Carpe Diem   Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:45 pm

You might be right, there are a lot of expressions which make sense in German, but can be understood differently in English, so the German "Ich habe einen Ruf zu verlieren." often means "I don't want to lose my good/bad reputation."
And thanks for the explanation, now I see that the "immensamente" applies to the "avere paura". Makes more sense this way.

Bonus stories translated into English: #13, 14, 15, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 26, 27, 29, 30
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maximillion_Pegasus

PostSubject: Re: #14 - Carpe Diem   Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:58 pm

Asparagus32 wrote:
I came to the acceptance that most time travel stories just don't work if you think too much about the consequences and paradoxons.
I agree. But that's quite hard for me. I've never been able to apply Coleridge's willing suspension of disbelief. At least when implausibility is so evident.

For example I can easily ignore the Back to the Future trilogy incongruences since you have to stop and think about the whole plot to recognize them. They're well hidden. So I like those films so much.

But if while reading you find yourself thinking "Mh, that can't be", well, that's a problem.

Asparagus32 wrote:
[...] the German "Ich habe einen Ruf zu verlieren." often means "I don't want to lose my good/bad reputation."

Here we are. The same concept in Italian can be expressed by saying "Ho una reputazione da difendere". The meaning difference is slight:
- in German the sentence means "I've got a reputation and I risk to lose it";
- in Italian the sentence means "I have to defend my reputation".
(Again, sorry...I also like linguistics and love to talk about this).
Back to top Go down
View user profile

#14 - Carpe Diem
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2