BETA

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

PK - Pikappa discussion thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Viroro

PostSubject: PK - Pikappa discussion thread   Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:09 pm

Well, since I was speaking about it on the other topic, I figured we could've got a topic to speak about Pikappa (or 'Frittole', as the italian community likes to call it).

So, what are your thoughts on the reboot, its quality, its pros, and its cons? I know very well that this is the worst rated series starring the Duck Avenger, but despite it, I can't say it didn't had some high, or even redeeming, points.

The biggest pro was likely that it allowed to return to a similair set up to the original series, allowing for a more adventurous narrative compared to the more gritty and down to earth storytelling of PK^2 (which was by no means bad, but it was definitely an acquired taste, while PKNA and Pikappa's styles can be more easily absorbed). It also delved in Lyo's character a lot more than PK^2 was able to, and in particular I liked his relationship with Vendor and Lyla (which, while definitely a lot different than her original self, was still a pretty good character on her own right).

Another pro is that, even if it might sound like a controversial comment, Pikappa does a better job setting up a superhero origin that PKNA does. By completely cutting out the Paperinik phase and creating the whole Guardian of the Galaxy story (doesn't help that the original Paperinik costume had a space-y feel to it) actually manages to make the first story a more proper origin than Evroniani was (given that story was aided by being more of a transition story from classic Paperinik to the 'superior' PK, which while it requires a basic familiarity with the character, did allow for a faster narrative, but at the expense of actually feeling like a beginning in a way.). With it, I don't want to say 'A superhero by chance' was the better story: it simply worked better as an introduction.

Some stories actually did use the Guardians of the Galaxy well, too (including the only actual two-parter of this series, Frontal Attack/The Warrior King) in a nice way, even actually enhancing the situation instead of hindering it, but sadly it didn't always work, especially due to One's new, more nagging personality to have PK be more of a by-the-book guardian instead of being the space equivalent of a cowboy cop.

To shift on the cons, there are too many to list, so I will cover the five biggest ones: the portrayal of characters, the odd choices, the failure of being an ultimate book, the target audience shift, and the way looser continuity.

About the first, one of the things that sadly Pikappa followed the Ultimate books on was one of its worst habits (especially in books like The Ultimates and such), that is, picking a character and completely change it because REBOOT, without an ounce of respect for who they were. Sometimes it worked with little to no issue (Lyo is pretty much the same character, just slightly friendlier and with a different superhero to be the partner of), to those that changed a lot but still worked (Lyla, whose new character still worked out well in my opinion), and those which changed so much, you'd barely define it the same character (Gorthan, by being given a larger role he became way flatter than the interesting character he was portrayed as in Mekkano and his other brief appearences in the PKNA continuity). Needless to say how this defeated the entire point of the book, making it clear the only reason it was created was to have a more foreign market friendly series to export.

Then we've odd choices in characters to recover. How could they do a series like this and forget to bring back most of the characters that made the original series memorable? Where is Xadhoom? Whatever happened to the Raider? Where did Odin Eidolon go? And for that matter, why we never got around to explore the future, besides that one slight sneak peek in One plus One?
Then, of course, we've to deal with the poor replacements. The most glaring of which was Kronin. Why the hell they thought bringing a character the original PK never ACTUALLY met (both of their meetings were pretty much retconned out of existence, so ironically he never had an 'actual' appearence in the series) could've been a good idea? It's really just a more one-dimensional Raider, without Trip, without the respectful relationship the Raider slowly built by Pikappa, none of the fun or the charisma, making it clear he was just a more 'black' morality character to contrast the Raider's gray morality. Plus, he only really got two serious stories on him. The other times, he was used as the butt of some joke, even not being given a proper introduction by debuting in a short story where the evronians also stole his thunder for the most part. And that's not to say how he actually allowed 'The End?' to happen... in general, a forgettable decision for a forgettable character.

Also, everyone should be aware that, before the Ultimate series went off the rails in various ways, their original intent was to 'update' and remake iconic storylines in a more modern way, allowing for stories that were at once fresh and classic. This didn't happen with Pikappa, at all. Most of the stories did their own thing, and very rarely they tried to readapt a story in such a way (the only case I can think of right off the bat is The World's Clock being Carpe Diem with less introspection and slightly more sense, but even then, it was definitely a worst story than its original), and it doesn't help that the Evronians had the lion share of plot focus as main plotline, given the others weren't as developed even when they were very important in previous series (like the aforementioned time travel-related stories, which barely happened if at all in this series).

Adding to that, we've what perhaps was the biggest issue of this series, the lowering of the target audience. This led to the dumbing down of some themes, the overall lighter and softer way to deal with stories (even if there were some pretty dark and bleak points even then, with stories like Robophobia for example), and that sadly seeped in also in some otherwise quite good stories (like how they 'duckified' the names of important cities during Frontal Attack, like Osaka/Oducka, Rio de Janeiro/Rio de Papeiro, and similair. Even worse since The Warrior King actually does use real places instead of duckified ones, and PKNA always avoided this dumb thing). This also caused the continuity to be even looser than it was in PKNA (were recent events tend to be commented or brought up often enough to estabilish a good continuity, and not make the events of a story feel pointless), with the actual 'plot' happening in barely even ten issues out of a 32 issues series.

In the end, I feel Pikappa was an idea that, with solid writing and actual respect for the audience, might've even ended up great, but aside of a few outstanding issues (A Perfect World, Robophobia, A Long Farewell, The Nameless, The Hunters, Frontal Attack/The Warrior King and One Plus One, just to mention some) never matches the greatness of its predecessors, nor seem to be trying to do it, which is a great, great shame.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Banker
Admin

PostSubject: Re: PK - Pikappa discussion thread   Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:54 pm

He he he, you said enough for several people Razz

You know what I didn't like about the guardians of the galaxy thing? Besides it being a complete ripoff? The fact that PK's iconic costume was now just a uniform worn by many other "heroes". Also, the costume looked pretty stupid on those aliens. Total sh*t.

Spoiler:

Viroro wrote:
Most of the stories did their own thing, and very rarely they tried to readapt a story in such a way (the only case I can think of right off the bat is The World's Clock being Carpe Diem with less introspection and slightly more sense, but even then, it was definitely a worst story than its original)

I also noticed that O.G.R.E. was pretty much Mekkano, right down to being done by the same artist.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/LordofCorruption?feature=mhee
Eccentric

PostSubject: Re: PK - Pikappa discussion thread   Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:05 am

I've only read a few of what is translated on Comixology which is under Superduck --I'd buy the lot of them if I had the money, even if they're stories kind of sucked. I've obviously bought what is thought to be the best up the 13th issue, which is as far as Comixology and just decided to....Drop it pretty much.

Let's go with cons first since I tend to like anything even if the mass people think it's shitty; making this list kind of reminds me of elementary school where the teacher would give us a prompt to write a pro and con paper about, good times, much arthritis though I'm only eighteen now.

The whole ONE thing, how he was so uptight in his data, always the strict Catholic teacher at Sunday school (the stereotypical old lady with a ruler thing). Sure he had his moments of being pals with Donald/Pk, but compared to his PKNA-self he does not add up! I always missed the playful banter between the two where he was actually enjoying himself during such, or how he would treat Doandl/Pk with the utmost respect and try to make his day a bit easier somehow (like with illegally downloading a movie months before it's premier, or with food). But, nonetheless, at least we had ONE, unlike him Pk2.

Then there is the obvious horrible stories that were just dumb, rushed, and or not planned out very well. We had many good, serious, stories, but only a few could match up to PKNA. All because they were a few pages short and lacked the real fling the writers used to put into the old stories -- it's like they were just trying to get stories out as fast as they could. But we can also add the realization that many of the team members were working on other cool comics so perhaps that's why everything seems all...Off.

There was even a short story, the one with Everett analyzing what was up with One and realizing the AI was softening up, where we could have had a great story of Pk/One Vs. Everett and the Guardians. But did we get it? Nope.

"Hey, this is a good story! Let's do this!....OH shit, deadlines! Shit how is this gonna work?? This was all better in my head you guys. Fuck it. Pencil this bad boy, slap on some colors, we'll have the ten year-old to make up for sales."

Thats all I could find really wrong, I'm just an open person, with poor tastes, and lack of other real material of this series since it is all in Italian, I would take anything that would have PK and ONE side by side kicking evronian ass.

The pros?

We have Lyla and Lyo's absolutely wonderful father-daughter relationship, LIKE WOW, did not see that coming! We got a LOT of Lyo in Pikappa, and that was another pro, because he is such a cool character too. An old superhero sidekick who had secrets up his sleeves? Really nice character design too! It was a gift we got to know his back story, even if its an alternate universe I'd consider cannon in the main universe too.

The art, per usual, with all it's fan-service (oh man, buff girls, Robophobia where even Angus looked good) and cool inventions. You can never go wrong with the art in my opinion -- unless your making Lyla look weird, then you better draw the other characters better than her!

Just the whole bring back of Pk in general....Atleast they tried.

That's all I can think of, to me it is just there for some reaction images and good art.

And hey! WE GOT A GAME! How many Italian comics can say they got a game -- especially since it was not so big in the U.S. yet it still got a dub and a try at the American audience.....Okay wait, the W.I.T.C.H. game was a gameboy game and I don't remember any Monster Allergy game, but even then those two got canceled over here because little girls got bored of it).

That's my small opinion. Of course people have better ones and you pretty much got the gist of it c:
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mistresseccentrical.tumblr.com
Viroro

PostSubject: Re: PK - Pikappa discussion thread   Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:44 am

Well, admittedly it wasn't bad to get a game, even if it was very in name only (yeah, even more in-name only than PK was. But at least there were no Guardians of the Galaxy!), albeit it was also fault of that game if PK^2 was so rushed, besides poor sales... so, I think it's a bit of a mixed bag to talk about it XD

Though, I've poor tastes too, and that's likely why I'm a bit more open towards the reboot. That, and missing the first two series of PK at first (I was too young to follow them directly, even if I received as a gift a collection of three issues (#1, #15, and #44, specifically), so I knew at least the gist of the original.

The biggest flaw would likely be that One and PK's relationship STARTED in the wrong way. Due to how the series was set up, One and PK weren't anymore partners as they called themselves, One was PK's boss, and acted the part. Admittedly as it's shown and stated in that Everett story he does become softer over time, but it's still not quite the same.

Though, I wish the series would've progressed enough to show how Uno would've been shut down and Due would have rised (Nine Seconds from the End doesn't count). Maybe it would've been during the AU version of PK^2 events? The biggest shame was how the reboot had interesting ideas, but never used them.

Spoiler:

I think the Guardians of the Galaxy were created mostly due to looking at Paperinik's costume and thinking 'hey, it looks like space clothes! Let's make aliens wear it!', and going from there. I wouldn't even mind them being Green Lanterns rip-offs if they actually try to take advantage of it, but besides some minor mentioning of it in various stories and some major involvement in others, they were mostly there. I think it would've been better if the general uniform was different, and PK's one was a special case. This would've likely made the series more bearable for others (I think one of the reasons why I like Volkin was that his appearence made the costume look way less similair to PK's. Plus, his facial expressions in his Nine Seconds to the End cameo were lol-worthy for me XD). Some more cross-continuity nods would've been appreciated, though (albeit the 313 car ultimately becoming the 'civilian mode' of the Pikar was a nice shout out to the 313-X used by the classic Paperinik). Plus, I still wonder what the Guardians had to do with all the changes in the timeline that happen once Zondag prevents their creation in the last issue. Did the Guardians actively tried to not make Angus the director of 00 Channel or something? I personally think assuming 'The End?' ends halfway through with the Evronian victory makes for a better ending than what comes afterwards. Especially 'Juniper'. Dear god, 'Juniper'.

Spoiler:

Hm, never thought of O.G.R.E. being Mekkano redux, maybe because I connect the story more to Gorthan than the titular machine. It does have pretty big similarities, though.
If you squint your eyes, 'A superhero by chance' is also pretty much Evroniani with the context changed, as well (prologue with a group of scientists being sieged by Evronians and turned into Coolflames, quirky actors being involved, Lyla being hinted to be more than what she seems to be, PK and One both fighting the Evronians in the climax inside the Ducklair Tower, and so on), albeit that one was surelly intentional. I saw someone suggest A Perfect World was a rip-off of Day of the Cold Sun since both deal with a space-time disaster with Duckburg in the middle (with A Perfect World more on the 'space', and Day of the Cold Sun more on the 'time'), but honestly, they're way too different to count as far as I'm concerned. It'd be interesting to try to look for all the stories that do actually apply the Ultimate treatment to PKNA storylines.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Banker
Admin

PostSubject: Re: PK - Pikappa discussion thread   Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:43 am

Viroro wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

And I'll go further with that question regarding the ending...

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/LordofCorruption?feature=mhee
Viroro

PostSubject: Re: PK - Pikappa discussion thread   Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:58 am

Uhm, I didn't recalled the circumstances well. I guess what PK tried to do was more impressed on me than the reasoning behind it XD That said, I'd still think he'd have to held him responsible for the events he caused. Pikappa felt way more attached to its status quo than the previous two series (even after the worldwide crisis of Frontal Attack/The Warrior King, everything is back to normal business the following issue. You'd think such a big event would at least get a mention in story, not counting Donald's journal summary...)

Spoiler:

Also about that... I wonder why they never tried importing Xadhoom, of all people, in this universe. She was a big part of the original Evron arc, and she could've easily been rewritten as a loose cannon of the Guardians of the Galaxy, maybe estabilishing her more as a 'rival' than an ally in the organization for PK (A role she would've definitely done better than Roknar. He was definitely supposed to be that, but due to how badly the guardians were used, it didn't really showed up well). I assume her absence is also one of the reasons the arc in Pikappa felt way looser and full of fillers, at least for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PK - Pikappa discussion thread   Today at 1:42 pm

Back to top Go down

PK - Pikappa discussion thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1