BETA

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Favourite Character

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Krozam

PostSubject: Favourite Character   Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:23 pm

Well, I'll start the obligatory "Who is your favourite character?" thread.

For me, it's Xadhoom. I like everything about her: an over-powered badass without being completely hax, a tragic past, a vengeful mind, and most importantly, an amazingly multi-layered character. Even my favourite PKNA quote is from her - as you'd see if signatures were enabled on this forum. *hint hint*

Well, the series is full of great characters. Thanks to the plot continuity and overall great, mature writing, the main cast of PKNA plays in an entirely different league from the usual Disney characters. PKNA doesn't pale even when compared to the cream of Japanese manga and Korean manhwa.

So, who are your favourite characters, and why?

Last edited by Krozam on Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Banker
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Character   Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:21 pm

Yeah, gotta agree with you there. Xadhoom pretty much defines the maturity of PKNA. Is someone asks me what makes the series so great, I'd be like "XADHOOM!", wouldn't need to say anything else...

Been looking into the signature thing. Should be working now...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/LordofCorruption?feature=mhee
megasupermoon

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Character   Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:25 pm

My favorite characters in Duck Avenger Universe(s): Everett/Zardoz, One, Donald/Duck Avenger and Odin. I like also Xadhoom little bit, but he doesn´t belong to my favorites.

Actually I don´t know why I like Everett, but when I learned that
Spoiler:

I think I like One because in my opinion he´s kind of humorous.
If you ask me Duck Avenger and One are lovely together.

Before I knew that Odin is One in the future, I liked him because I found him mysterious and kind of elegant.
When I learned Odin´s secret, I started to wonder why I didn´t realise earlier even though it was practically uncovered already in issue 5 where he made his debut.

I like (actually love) Duck Avenger because... Well, I know nobody who doesn´t like him!
I like him for same reasons as everybody else who like him!
I saw original Duck Avenger first time when I was only three years old and I have always liked him since then.

Last edited by megasupermoon on Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Asparagus32

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Character   Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:58 pm

There are so many loveable characters in this series, picking a favourite is really hard.

I like all of the main cast, but Donald/PK stands out in a way, since he connects the old Disney world with this futuristic universe. His synergy with Uno is also very well done.

This series just lives on its characters, unlike other Discney comics, the side characters are unforgettable and special in their own way. Makes me almost sad, that a lot of them only appear in a singe issue.

Bonus stories translated into English: #13, 14, 15, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 26, 27, 29, 30
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Banker
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Character   Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:39 pm

Also people, let's try not to get too spoilery here about some of the information of these characters which the translations haven't gotten to yet. At least put it in a spoiler tag if you're gonna do it.

I really gotta make a topic about that soon...
Back to top Go down
megasupermoon

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Character   Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:48 pm

Right... Sorry...

I´ll remember next time!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evose

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Character   Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:15 pm

il mio personaggio preferito è due. ora non riesco più a dire nient'altro perchè non cavo bene con l'inglese...
My favorite character is two. now I can not say anything else because it does not lead to well with the English ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ducklairtower.weebly.com
Maximillion_Pegasus

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Character   Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:47 pm

One, and his future counterpart Odin.

The whole PKNA series can be seen as a Bildungsroman (it seems I always have to face German in this forum) following the developement of One, which (who?) eventually
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lyla

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Character   Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:15 pm

I think the best character of the serie is Xadhoom. No way! Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Banker
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Character   Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:41 pm

Another one of my favorites is Newton, that awesome droid working for the organization...

Now, let me just be clear that I consider myself to be a very heterosexual man.

But still...

Those shades, dat tie, that hypnotizing gaze...

I wouldn't mind a piece of that sexy robot...

No homo.
Back to top Go down
Asparagus32

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Character   Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:01 am

I loved Newton in #14, I know he'll reappear in #34 but I haven't read this Issue yet. It's so funny he never seems to lose his temper, except when he's with Vostok.
Vostok ist also one of my favourites, he reminds me a bit of an evil version of Q (Desmond Llewelyn, not John Cleese).

I also liked Oberon DeSpair. He just seems so... extreme for a Disney character. I think he's the main reason Fairfax couldn't really shine in his comeback in #21. He was just too overshadowed by him.

Bonus stories translated into English: #13, 14, 15, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 26, 27, 29, 30
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krozam

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Character   Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:35 am

Asparagus32 wrote:
I also liked Oberon DeSpair. He just seems so... extreme for a Disney character. I think he's the main reason Fairfax couldn't really shine in his comeback in #21. He was just too overshadowed by him.
This is even more true in their next comeback. Oberon totally overshadows Fairfax (who's become even more insane than before).

Vostok is funny. He and DA and Lyla have a little adventure together in a later issue, and it's hilarious. Laughing It's also one of my favourite issues ever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lyla

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Character   Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Maybe I'll be a little obvious, but I love also Odin Eidolon. And Gorthan. And Vertighel.
And well, the Raider is the most obvious. I kinda like also Angus Fangus, but the most complex for me is still Everett Ducklair.
Also Tyrrel Duckard isn't so bad, but from the second serie I like Korinna, more than him. See's so strange and reminds me a little Xadhoom... not at all, because of really obvious things, but a little.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evronian1138

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Character   Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:06 pm

My fav chars are PK himself ofcourse, Odin, Uno(and his "brother" Due).

Don't forget the beautiful and strong Xadhoom and Lyla.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Banker
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Character   Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:15 pm

Oh hi, visiting this thread again after reading PK2...

TEMPEST FUCKING GALE!
Back to top Go down
Lyla

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Character   Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:05 pm

Ah yes, I loved her in "The last hunt", unfortunately it's the only issue in which we can see her "a lot". Every character in PK2 deserved more space...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Banker
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Character   Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:08 pm

Lyla wrote:
Every character in PK2 deserved more space...

Sad, really...
Back to top Go down
Lyla

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Character   Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:12 pm

Banker wrote:
Lyla wrote:
Every character in PK2 deserved more space...

Sad, really...

I really still hope, somewhere in my mind, that they'll continue PK2, but I DO know it's quite impossible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Banker
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Character   Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:21 pm

Lyla wrote:

I really still hope, somewhere in my mind, that they'll continue PK2, but I DO know it's quite impossible.

Don't we all. The ending didn't exactly leave our bellies full.

And-- Eh, discussing further details regarding that would be off topic.

Then I'll just say I hope they focus on bringing back old characters with unknown fates if there ever is a continuation.
Back to top Go down
Odin Eidolon

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Character   Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:59 pm

Favourite character? In PKNA?

Oh, this is hard.

Painfully hard.

But let's try, nevertheless...

Many of the villains that starred in PKNA are characterized by being over-the-top for a Disney publication, especially a comic. This fact gave us some of the most wonderful baddies you could conceive: Due, for example.
The evil twin of the genius machine, the crawling madness at the corners of the mind, the ghost of what a technological singularity may bring, Due (Two in the translation) has fascinated me since the beginning... maybe also because it was my beginning: Due (the issue) was the first PKNA I ever read. I loved his jagged personality and tragic destiny.

But talking about villains, one cannot surely exclude the main ones: and the Evron people has provided us readers with some very nice personalities between the high ranks of the society: and Gorthan here gets the lion' share, being the Big Bad of one of the most entertaining issues ever (Trauma, #10), and one of the most beautiful (Mekkano, #20), which expanded the character and showed us hidden depths not just for this wonderful character, but also for the entire Evron race. His appearance in the '99 special, La Fine del Mondo (The End of the World), has showed us his most frightening side, further adding layers to the character.

Without doubt, one of the most unforgettable ones in all the series, but... there are two more characters that somehow shadow him.

The first One is him, Uno. The overcompetent sidekick, the genius artificial intelligence, deadpan snarker and conflicted between these newfound 'emotions' and the subroutines so deeply engraved in him, who slowly understands the significance of friendship, love and all these useless emotions us biological intelligences are burdened with...

I confess that, for most of the time I read PKNA, Uno was 'the' character for me. The main reason why I cried out in dismay when I first bought PK2
Spoiler:

. I have countless sketches of him drawn. I think i can still remember how to sketch down those three circles that helped me figure out his head.

I love him. Damn, I love him. He may as well be my favourite character ever in PKNA, and I would without doubt choose him as a symbol of what PKNA was (and is) for me.

But.

But... the point is, your favourite characters change you, in a way. Don Rosa's Scrooge changed my ethics in a way that I would have never thought it was possible. And the greatest change in my preferences wasn't made nor by Gorthan, nor by Uno.
It was made by some Xerbian mutant scientist.

XADHOOM!

The first time I read about her was during the Trilogy (#33, 34 and 35), and even so, seing her
Spoiler:

, was a blast.
Since then, I developed some sort of fetish for energy-wielding women with a witty humour and a creepy laugh.
No wonder I love Kim Possible's Shego.

This is what I was talking about: Xadhoom established some sort of trope in me... some sort of atavistic character that influenced more or less all of my female characters from hence forth. So, I believe that, also because a lot of my most beloved stories (Metamorfosi, #28, Sotto un Nuovo Sole, #37, Nell'Ombra, 46) have her as protagonist and because she, more or less, divided the PKNA world in a Before and an After, she is the character that, in the end, I loved the most and had the greatest influence on me.

So, thank you, Doctor Xado.

And now, let's dance!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eccentric

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Character   Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:19 pm

In order: Everett, because seriously he is so freaking adorkable. One, the master of sass, bu I LOVE Odin even more, just all elegant and full of swag while still being the sass master. Two, because wheres there an insane, revengeful twin who doesn't want be 2nd to his brother, theres my heart; his human self, deugemo, is badass too! Leonard Vertighel, the very misunderstood and insane robot lover (shutup, I dont know why I find his and Lyla's relationship awesome). Then theres Juniper and Korinna, no matter how mad they get me by hurting their father. And finally theres Urk, because he's strong and sweet (with his inter-dimensional crush on Lyla).

But of course, PK is always loved, no matter what, you can never not love him!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mistresseccentrical.tumblr.com
Lyla

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Character   Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:29 pm

MadameEccentric wrote:
In order: Everett, because seriously he is so freaking adorkable. One, the master of sass, bu I LOVE Odin even more, just all elegant and full of swag while still being the sass master. Two, because wheres there an insane, revengeful twin who doesn't want be 2nd to his brother, theres my heart; his human self, deugemo, is badass too! Leonard Vertighel, the very misunderstood and insane robot lover (shutup, I dont know why I find his and Lyla's relationship awesome). Then theres Juniper and Korinna, no matter how mad they get me by hurting their father. And finally theres Urk, because he's strong and sweet (with his inter-dimensional crush on Lyla).

But of course, PK is always loved, no matter what, you can never not love him!

I didn't know your favorite was Everett, I thought it was Odin Razz
Ah don't worry, everyone thinks Leonard is awesome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eccentric

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Character   Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:13 pm

it's an ever clashing battle between Everett and Odin for my favorite, but they're just so similar, being business-men, and cute in their own way :'D
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mistresseccentrical.tumblr.com
Catacomb Kitten

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Character   Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:43 am

Alright, my turn!
I also assume that we talk about favourite character besides Pk himself, because that's quite obvious...^^

First place: Gorthan. I have a serious crush on him. Which I know is not a good thing because
1. he has a beak
2. he belongs to a hostile alien race
3. he is fictional
FML. I'm gonna marry him anyway.

Second: The Raider. (Yes, I love anti heroes) When he is around, things never get boring because he is so unpredictable.

Third: all the other main characters. One, Lyla, Xadhoom, you name it.
I can't really put in Everett here because he made me sad and depressed. As important and interesting as he is, I can't forgive him for how he made me feel during PK2...

Maybe I should also mention general Zondag. After all I made a clay figure of him that still watches my room from the window sill. The only problem is that at that time Zondag and Zargon were one and the same character to me as both were named Zondag by our smart german translator. Yeah. Giving out Fountains of the Moon before Shadows on Venus didn't help either. So now I'm unsure if it was actually Zondag or Zargon I liked more...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favourite Character   Today at 1:37 pm

Back to top Go down

Favourite Character
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1